Joshua: The Foreshadowing
What's in a name? Well, when it comes to God - everything.
Joshua: Comes from the two Hebrew words (1) Jehovah= "the existing One" (2) To save, be saved, be delivered, to be liberated, to be saved (in battle), be victorious to save, deliver from moral troubles, to give victory to.
Why is this important? Because God, through His written Word, is give us a prophecies. Some come as a warning. Some come as a promise. Either way, prophecies give the Believer a chance to order his or her life accordingly. It can the difference between life and death or between success and ruin. The consequences or blessings can be temporal or eternal.
The Book of Joshua gives us both, God's warnings and God's promises, and it is supremely prophetic.
These verses, when read with the correct understanding, are able to lead you to a source which contains an unimaginable power, and explosive power. And, this power can radically and thoroughly transform your life and your experience. When the work of this Prophetic Word is accomplished, you would hardly recognize the person you were beforehand.
Your circumstances will miraculously conform (yes, miraculously conform) to reflect the changes that will have taken place within you. Changes which God has wrought within you. Even your family and friends will wonder what happened to the person they once knew, who now goes about in your name.
Read these verses from Joshua, with me, considering them in the model of The Trinity of God: The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. As God is Three, so we will find The Trinity in His Word: The physical (soma), the soul (pseuche - mind, will and emotions) and the Spirit (Pneuma).
PLEASE NOTE: For the purpose of this study, I will enter the verse, then, I will enter 'subscripts' from the Hebrew language so we can get a deeper and clearer meaning of the text, then I will enter the terms using a lexicon or bible dictionary for further clarification and understanding. (All this is taken from Strong's Bible Concordance).
This can be a difficult undertaking requiring much prayer, study and meditation on God's Word. This process will become clearer as we read and pray for understanding and wisdom. But, make no mistake, the results will be astounding.
The designation of (1) is the verse
The designation of (2) is the Hebrew translation
The designation of (3) is the commentary or explanation of the meaning
Joshua chapter 1 verses 1 - 4 (A mighty picture of conquest, victory and salvation)
(1) "Moses My servant is dead; now therefore arise, cross this Jordan,
(2) Draw out rise up, become powerful, endure pass over descender, lay prostrate
(3) The old way of drawing you out of your former life, is dead; now therefore rise up and come into The enduring power and you cross over from this descended position
(1) you and all this people, to the land which I am giving to them, to the sons of Israel.
(2) sons, to build, to establish God prevails, mighty, god-like strength
(3) you and all this people, to the land which I am giving to them, to the eternal sons of God, to prevail, made mighty by God in His strength
(1) "Every place on which the sole of your foot treads, I have given it to you, just as I spoke to Moses.
(2) All, in totality To bow oneself down of God; to walk along
(3) Every place and everything you touch, bow yourself to God, and the touch of God will grant you dominion
(1) "From the wilderness and this Lebanon, even as far as the great river, the river Euphrates,
(2) wilderness, mouth as an organ of speech to purify, lebab: heart: mind to break forth, fruitfulness
(3) From the time you were wild in your imaginations, without a heart or a mind, until God breaks forth and gives you a fruitful heart and gives you a mind, an awareness of and in Him
VERSE 4, continued
(1) all the land of the Hittites, and as far as the Great Sea toward the setting of the sun will be your territory.
(2) Terror, low places come, to enter in,
(3) from all the terror and low places in your life until you enter into His Kingdom of eternity is yours
verse 5 "No man will be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you. (This is the Self evident 'promised' or Prophesied Outcome)
v6 "Be strong and courageous, for you shall give this people possession of the land which I swore to their fathers to give them. (This is the Self evident 'promised' or Prophesied Outcome)
v7 "Only be strong and very courageous; be careful to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may have success wherever you go. (This is the Self evident 'promised' or Prophesied Outcome)
v8 "This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success. (This is the Self evident 'promised' or Prophesied Outcome)
v9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." (This is the Self evident 'promised' or Prophesied Outcome)
v10 ¶ Then Joshua commanded the officers of the people, saying,
v11 "Pass through the midst of the camp and command the people, saying, ‘Prepare provisions for yourselves, for within three days you are to cross this Jordan, to go in to possess the land which the LORD your God is giving you, to possess it.’" (DO THIS - it is the Self evident 'promised' or Prophesied Outcome)
This is what God is said and continues to say about what is to come.
This was said to Joshua at a specific time for a specific purpose. But, it is a Prophetic utterance and is applicable to all peoples for all times. God is still saying it today, for you, for today.
Jesus' Return is near - very near. And, we are to be ready to "arise, you and all this people".
Now therefore rise up and come into The enduring power and you cross over from this descended position, to the land which I am giving to you, to the eternal sons of God, to prevail, made mighty by God in His strength.
Every place and everything you touch, bow yourself to God, and the touch of God will grant you dominion with Him.
Your Brother and Friend,